Temple Sholom started its life in Edgemont on what used to be a Lutheran church on Ross Avenue.
The founders also wanted Temple Sholom to be a warm welcoming and smaller synagogue. Our size is still limited in our constitution today.
Temple Sholom, since it started out very small, became very volunteer oriented. Its volunteers, particularly the Sisterhood, ran the daily operations of the synagogue. Members of HUC faculty provided adult education and helped establish a religious school curriculum. Temple Sholom still maintains that strong volunteer and DIY mentality.
In 1959, it was the first Reform synagogue to build its current home to move to “Northern” Cincinnati in Amberley Village.
New Sanctuary dedicated in 1967
Rabbi Donald Splansky succeeded Rabbi Brav in 1972. Rabbi Splansky continued Temple Sholom’s traditions of innovation, social justice and intimacy.
In 1984, our congregation was fortunate to hire Rabbi Gerry Walter, who is now our Rabbi Emeritus. Under Rabbi Walter’s strong leadership, our temple was an innovator in ritual, education, and was a leader in its support of Israel and Soviet Jewry.
New Religious School Wings and Rooms built in the 1980’s and 1990’s
New Chapel, Offices, Entryway, and Renovations in 2007-2008
Rabbi Miriam Terlinchamp joined Temple Sholom on July 1st, 2010 as our rabbi and has brought great personal warmth, innovation, and energy to our Temple Sholom community.